Re: printtool in Debian

[ I am not on debian-devel; please cc me on replies/followups. ]

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Except for stupid TCL gui part, I think general design of printtool
> and RH's master-filter are acceptable one (Well, may be too
> elaborate, also parsing .gz file through gzip twice is not a smart
> move).

Hmm.  It's *really* painful for end users to install new drivers, and
it's almost impossible to make full use of what driver features free
software drivers do provide.

> It looks like RH will move to lprngtool which is basically a
> cleaned-up version of printtool(tcl code) with many feature
> enhancements.  I will look into it.  Basic filtering structure seems
> to be the same.

No, I think they're throwing printtool away - it's DEAD.  Please do
not try to keep it alive.  LPRngtool came out of turbolinux, IIRC;
they might be shipping that, but I don't know.

The new thing in Red Hat is LPRng/magicfilter, with Foomatic driver
interfacing and a GUI called printconf or printerconf or something
like that.

> At any rate, Perl/Tk or Python/Tk code may be more modular and
> readable. If C/GTK gui front end is written, that is even greater.

> Make sure printer database files are compatible or make some
> converter to maintain access to the RH printer database.  Not that
> RH did good job maintaining printer database but they may...

Red Hat is throwing their database away as part of the death of
rhs-printfilters/printtool.  For a while they planned to generate it
from mine, but I think that never left the proverbial building.
Someone had certainly written the code to do so, though.

In the future they will be using my database, just like Mandrake,
SuSE, Caldera, etc.  They're using my mfomatic backend, interfaced in
an interesting dynamic way with a version of magicfilter 2.0.

> Code is easy but database are pain in the --- to maintain as
> volunteer work.  Nobody has patience and time for tedious database
> work...

OK, I'll admit that my little effort only has 700 printers...

Seriously, though, just yesterday I posted my roadmap.  Read and enjoy:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/foomatic-devel/2001q1/000073.html

The current state of affairs (1.0 in the roadmap) is described, more
or less, at http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html

Discussion of foomatic takes place in the linuxprinting.foomatic.devel
forum on the website (also via nntp or mailman as you prefer).

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
  Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/