Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 08:31:23PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de) [010206 20:24]:
> > > Last friday I started Debian OpenBSD with the following targets
> > > and milestones:
> >
> > One question out of interest: What is the opinion of the OpenBSD people on
> > your project?
>
> I would like to know, too. I wrote Theo about my intent and he
> never answered.
>
> > Why don't you use the powerful GNU-tools? I know that they compile and
> > work perfect under NetBSD and I expect the same under OpenBSD.
>
> Right now I try to avoid the gnu tools because using their source
> is not as well reviewed as the OpenBSD code. Introducing such
> code probatly will open security holes. It might be ok to use
> them in the packaging process if all else fails.

the main GNU tools in question is a small group of software, why not
put it through an audit?  this would benifit every GNU/Linux distro.

GNU tools are one of the first things i compile and install replacing
the BSD tools on such systems.  i don't see the point of a Debian BSD
if it does not use GNU userland.  as for security issues, the security
of a OpenBSD system goes down quite a bit once you add everything
needed to do a given job.  as soon as you enable any services its no
longer counted as `secure'.  just see thier attitude about no root
hole in the default install in 3 years, ftpd and whatnot don't count
since they are disabled by default in thier current OpenBSD release.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/