Re: FHS compliance and UNIX sockets

On 02-Feb-01, 13:03 (CST), Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:47:43AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> >
> > This turns out to have some interesting consequences. For example, I
> > added TMPDIR support to "crontab -e", and it broke for some users,
> > because emacs behaves differently when the path of the file being edited
> > begins with "/tmp" vs other places. When it's in /tmp, emacs edits in
> > place and copies to backup, otherwise it moves the original to backup
> > and edits a copy, which broke crontabs check for if the file had been
> > modified.
>
> That really sounds like a bug in emacs; that's a subtler form of not
> respecting TMPDIR.

Yes, but: emacs doesn't know it's TMPDIR, because crontab starts emacs
with an explicit path to the file. Now, that emacs changes behaviour based
on file location is arguably a bug, but I'm sure opinions will differ on
that point.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read