Re: Bugs about new upstream versions

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 09:55:45PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> IMHO, several months is not too long, in most cases,

I disagree. For most packages and most new versions, it is a matter
of dropping in the new upstream source, tweaking a couple patches
and testing it. If you can't spare the time to upgrade a package over
a period of several months, then you probably don't have the time to
properly maintain the package.

> and people have
> a right not to be bugged unnecessarily about their volunteer work.

s/about their volunteer work//g. But if you take on a responsibilty,
you should fullfil your obligations in a timely fashion, and be prepared
to transfer the responsiblity to someone else if you can't.

> If the new upstream version fixes serious bugs or has important new
> functionality, then a bug report pointing it out is reasonable earlier;
> in normal cases, not.

What else is a new upstream release for? Occasionally a release is made
for bugs that don't pertain to Debian, but usually it fixes something
important or adds some that is useful to someone.

> I agree that it can be frustrating to wait for a new version, but it's
> also extremely annoying to have people complain about a new version
> without giving the maintainer enough time to package it.

I agree that people complaining about a new version the week it is out is
unfair. But several months is enough time to package from scratch any
program in Debian except for X. It's also extremely annoying to have
a package that you're forced to hand-compile because the Debian package
is being competently handled, especially when you're willing to take over
the package.

(Why is it that people around here get so snappy about personal cc's?
If someone asks for it, it's not hard to add one. Otherwise, don't
add one. If someone messes up, it's no big deal. brozen@torah.org added
back to the CC list.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and