Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:35:15PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
>>
>> Would asking for apt-get upgrade-source functionality be a Good Thing in
>> this case?  Perhaps make it either rsync or CVS, depending on what's in
>> /etc/alternatives.  I know I'd like the idea as a user.
>
>Possibly.  But that might put more load on the CVS server than
>desired.

Now we have other problems.  Overload of the CVS servers is not a valid
excuse in this case.  In fact, if the loading problems are such that
even one Debian user that wants to checkout the CVS tree cannot, this
proposal must die now.  This is contrary to the spirit of the GPL if not
the wording.  If everybody cannot get the same access to the source, every
reference to "open source" becomes a pathetic joke.  Debian will NOT
play Orwellian games with access to source while I have breath in my body
to oppose it: if one gets it, all will, and nobody will be "more equal
than others".  I'd hope that others feel this way, but I have no qualms
about fighting the entire Debian organization alone if necessary on this
issue.

--
<a mailto:galt@inconnu.isu.edu>Who is John Galt?</a>

	-- Ferenc Mantfeld