Re: FHS compliance and UNIX sockets

D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 08:44:51PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> | Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> |
> | > what he means is ext2 with huge directories sucks, go create a
> | > directory with 50000 files/directories in it flat, then do an ls or
> | > something. =20
> |
> | /var/run/[a-z] isn't that hard.

> In that case, why not /tmp/user/[a-z] ?

I wasn't the one who suggested /var/run/$USER.  I was actually thinking of
programs like ssh-agent which needs directories for users who invoked it.
In that case, /var/run/ssh/$USER can be done quite easily while doing the
same thing in /tmp and avoiding DOS attacks requires cooperation from the
system bootup script.