Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:37:01AM +0100, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> Quoting Brian May (bam@debian.org):
> Please read the GPL section 3b).
> IANAL....
> But this clearly shows that we MUST keep a history of the last three years.
> We are not doing this and thus violating the GPL.

Actually, as of pools, we now always satisfy 3a: when we distribute a
binary, we now always ``[a]ccompany it with the complete corresponding
machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms
of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
interchange''.

> IIRC there was one incident about a year or two ago when M$ got into
> trouble when it wasn't able to reproduce some parts of Windows 3.1 or 3.0
> when the US Navy requested it. This tells me that there must be some
> laws around that require this as well. I know for a fact that in the
> banking industrie (retail and investment) you have to keep the sources
> for TEN years for example.

For released architectures, we're nowadays keeping the source publically
available in perpetuity with archive.debian.org.

Cheers,
aj