Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> In Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:41:29 +0000 Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> cum veritate scripsit :
> > It's no easier, possibly harder. But you can't do a "cvs diff" with
> > apt.
> That's a very good point.
> It lessens the potential of having human errors like reversing a diff.
> Less overhead to send patches for a trivial fix.
> One catch would be the fact that this would cause an overhead
> for the maintainers for the packages moved to cvs in terms of network load.
When dinstall installs a source package into the archive, it could inject it
into cvs automatically.
* All packages are automatically in cvs.
* All versions are in cvs.
* cvs repository is central.
* Existing developers can use whatever build environment they want.
* Some source packages may not be auto-injectable.
* Some developers may already be using cvs.
* dinstall would have to be modified(this may not be an issue).
----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----
GCS d- s: a-- c+++ UL++++ P+ L++++ !E W+ M o+ K- W--- !O M- !V PS--
PE++ Y+ PGP++ t* 5++ X+ tv b+ D++ G e h*! !r z?
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
----BEGIN PGP INFO----
Adam Heath <firstname.lastname@example.org> Finger Print | KeyID
67 01 42 93 CA 37 FB 1E 63 C9 80 1D 08 CF 84 0A | DE656B05 PGP
AD46 C888 F587 F8A3 A6DA 3261 8A2C 7DC2 8BD4 A489 | 8BD4A489 GPG
-----END PGP INFO-----