Re: Open letter to Debian community

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:14:25AM +0500, Victor Vislobokov wrote:
>                     Open letter to Debian community.
>
>    First defect, IMHO is that Debian is very big. I thought and I think now,
> that best size of distribution is one CD. One CD for binaries and one for
> sources. Some people can say, that I contradict oneself, at once I want
> fullness of distribution and little size, but I think that this things can
> be combined together.

You shouldn't actually need anymore than one CD to install Debian. At least that's the idea with the popularithy-contest package. From the README:

"You can help out the Debian Project by sending your popularity-contest results to us anonymously.  With information from enough people, we can determine which packages are most often used, which are often installed but not used, and which are nearly never used.  That way, we can help people make decisions about which packages should fit on the first Debian install CD, for example, or which packages are most important for an FTP mirror site to keep."

In a sense, the first Debian CD is a mini distribution comprised of the most commonly used packages.

--
Dan White
<whitehse@cafedemocracy.org>