Re: Open letter to Debian community

* David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org) [010130 22:34]:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:14:25AM +0500, Victor Vislobokov wrote:
> >   Another disadavantage: I analized Potato from the point of russian user,
> > that doesn't need packages that are not related to russian or english
> > languages. I found, that I can drop 100Mb packages!
>
> Then do so. There's nothing stopping you or a Russian user group from making
> a mini-Debian. I'm sure there's a number of people who would be willing to
> help make a 1 CD Debian for Russian speakers.
>
> > You're right, but what prevents
> > to divide Debian on international and national parts?
>
> It's a lot of work for little gain.

Would it be horrible to add a line to the control field that lists
what languages are supported by a package?  So that I could add a
configuration option to dselect and/or apt to show me packages for
languages I have?

Obviously, something would have to be done about packages if some
core package didn't come in a proper langage. Example: if debconf
didn't have any Chinese and I only wanted to see Chinese.  But this
could be handled in the interim by simply showing packages (or all
alternatives) if they are suggested or required but don't have a
language I want.

I think at some point something like this would be very useful, both
for english speakers (which is what, for better or worse, most
packages are) and for non-english people.  It is a shame that most
software doesn't have translations for all languages, but if we can
make our distribution more accessable, all the better.

Ciao!

--
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"
		--Dr. Emilio Lizardo (Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai)

The Doctor What: A Holtje Production             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC