Re: Daemontools

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 01:20:35PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> so it sounds like svscan is going to be necessary. fine. we write an
> init.d script something like the one attached to this email (which was a

No, no, do not start svscan in an init.d script! There are reasons to follow
the author's installation instructions at
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/svscan.html . It is one feature of daemontools'
design to give You the guarantee Your services are running under the same
environment any time Your machine is up. You do not have that in sysv
init scripts. Another feature is making such things like start-stop-daemon
obsolete. What if /var/run/svscan.pid is lost?

> i like daemontools (as do most people who have used it) and run it
> everywhere. it would certainly be good if it could be included in a
> package, provided that package was set up nicely, so it's good to see some

I would like to see it changed to follow djb's installation instructions.
lintian reports missing man-pages on the resulting daemontools binary
package. Adam, feel free to use a copy of those I created some time ago.

Regards, Gerrit.

--
pape@innominate.com
                                                        innominate AG