Re: SSHd not respecting configuration in /etc

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:51:37PM -0500, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Every time I update my system now sshd gets disabled again. This is most
> incredibly frustrating. The first time it happened I had to search until I
> found non-standard a file in /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run. Now every time I
> update I have to remove this file.

You obviously told it not to run, and then told debconf not to ask you the
same questions over and over.  So, each time you upgrade ssh, it reads your
old answers from the debconf file.

> I would guess this is a debconfism. However it points out a serious flaw in
> our approach to debconf. Originally Debian's handling of config files was to
> aid initial installs. Sysadmins were then free to use the standard config
> files to configure their systems. Any future updates were careful not to
> change the sysadmin's configurations without permission.
>
> Now I have a piece of important configuration that I can only fix by learning
> debconf. Every time I update my system configuration gets blown away by the
> install script. This is a most unhappy situation.

You don't need to "learn debconf".  You just need to reconfigure ssh.  In
case anyone hasn't told you yet, use dpkg-reconfigure.

> And of course of all services to assume it shouldn't be run, the remote access
> service is the last one! This leaves me helpless to actually fix the damn
> problem. Once upon a time sshd didn't even shut itself down for an upgrade for
> fear the user was performing the upgrade remotely, now we have it shutting
> down and not even re-enabling itself!

It's not assuming anything.  It's only doing what you told it to do.

man dpkg-reconfigure.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>