ITP: snacc Sample-Neufeld ASN.1 to C Compiler

Package: wnpp
Severity: normal

License: GPL
URLs:
http://www.ir.bbn.com/download/tools/snacc-1.3.tar.gz
[newer version, that uses automake, but example files are missing]
and
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/freeware/snacc/snacc-1.3b4.tar.gz
[I'll take the example files from this older version]

SNACC is compiler that generates C or C++ code from ASN.1
(abstract syntax notation 1) specification files.  ASN.1 is
a data description language mainly for communication
protocols.  The generated C/C++ code is for encoding and
decoding the BER (basic encoding rules).

Note:

The version I took is not maintained by the original authors
anymore.  There is also a new version of SNACC, that is
maintained by Getronics (http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/\
snacc_home.htm).  Unfortunately the build process is a
little bit different, e.g. instead of Makefile.am, there are
.dsp and .dsw files.  Also a lot of files are renamed
(ChangeLog -> changelog, *.C -> *.cpp), so it's difficult to
track the changes.  Btw, there is also a version of SNACC by
IBM, that produces Java code: http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com\
/aw.nsf/techmain/snaccforjava, I don't know much about it.

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>