Re: Install and RAID

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Nathan E Norman wrote:

> > Yeah right, I'm going to build a high performance server on IDE
> > <snicker>

> It is an undisputable fact that IDE gives better performance per $ than
> SCSI.  You realise the speed of a drive is primarily dependent on its
> RPM's not its interface (or its pricetag).

Do you realize that the current fastest disks are available only in
SCSI/Fibre channel varients? Show me a 15K RPM IDE..

You realize that the speed of a RAID array is primariy dependent on the
number of spindals and the aggregate bandwidth available from each disk?
Show me your fastest IDE based RAID and I'll show you a 64 drive Fibre
Channel system that eats it for lunch :>

Nathan did say high performance, not cheap.

> Ever seen a hardware raid card with as much power as a cpu ?
> If you worried about overloading you system get a MP mobo.

Yes actually :> My new employeer: http://www.yottayotta.com

These cards have more MIPs, RAM and bandwidth than small servers..
especially when they are clustered ...

Software RAID is a bit of a win on small scale, unmanaged RAID systems
that need to be low cost. Dedicated RAID controllers dominate everything
else.

Here is a big hint for you, Linux doesn't even have an enclosure
management driver to go along with the software RAID stuff, making it
impossible to use Linux in conjunction with a JBOD enclosure and be able
to hot swap drives.

Jason