Re: update excuses.. how to read them

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Paul Slootman wrote:

> It might also help if the source package was in the proper format,
> i.e. with an .orig.tar.gz and a diff.gz file, instead of it all
> lumped together in a heimdal_0.3d-5.tar.gz file.
>
> When building things by hand, I usually skip such packages because
> if there's a new version, I have to download the entire sources
> again for perhaps a 2 byte change. Besides, it doesn't conform to
> policy.

Policy is quite explicit on version numbering, but as far as I can see,
policy does not enforce a certain organization of source packages.

> And yes, I do check that it's not a native debian package; things
> like "new upstream version" in the changelog is a hint...

It's not as easy as that. Consider the upstream and the Debian maintainer
being the same person. But still they want to keep separate upstream and
Debian changelogs. Now, debhelpers will scream if you build a native
package with separate changelogs, but you can't build a full non-native
package either because there is no diff to the upstream sources. The
outcome if this usually is one of these strange native packages with
Debian revision number. (The revision number not making much sense as
you'll have to do a full upload for every minor change anyway because
there's no .orig.tar.gz.) I for one have this very problem with noflushd
and haven't found a good solution yet.

Regards,

Daniel.

--