Re: non-US?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:47:43PM -0500, Aubin Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new (read: prospective maintainer) and I've been looking around and I noticed that, thanks to the non-US
> section of Debian, we could easily put things based on CSS in Debian, provided they're out of the country.
>
> "The California Supreme Court delivered a severe blow to the movie
> industry's attempt to ban DeCSS software and control speech on the Net.
> On December 13, 2000 it granted Matthew Pavlovich's petition for review
> based on lack of personal jurisdiction over him.  The high court sent
> the matter back to the trial judge to show why the non-California
> resident should remain in the case.  The Supreme Court's unanimous
> decision signals its disapproval of the lower court's attempt to
> exercise personal jurisdiction over the Indiana college student who
> published DeCSS on a Web site hosting various Linux-based open-source projects."
> (From eff.org)
>
> This means that laws against DeCSS don't even apply in Indiana, not to mention
> out of the country. There are a number of things I would gladly package,
> provided the debian legal people wouldn't mind:

This does not mean that at all!  It says that a California state judge needs
to give a better reason that an Indiana resident should be _tried in California_.
It does not dismiss the California case against said student and it does not
prevent the proper parties from filing an Indiana suit.

Note:  there is a separate argument, that RIAA, as a licensor of the technology
has no standing to file a suit anywhere.  I have heard no ruling on this.