Re: Install and RAID

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 03:38:41PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 03:03:58PM -0500, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > But you really still haven't addressed my point.
>
> And what, exactly, was the point of the initial inane statement, "Anyone
> who is serious about protecting their data buys a hardware RAID
> controller. Software RAID is a hack." That was the statement I
> addressed. You were the one who made wild, sweeping, unsupported claims
> about the efficacy of an entire class of storage solution, not I.

That's my opinion of the current state of SW RAID in Linux, based on my
experiences with it.

> > My point is, the number of installations that both a) actually need
> > this and b) don't have the money for a "real" solution (such as EMC,
> > NetApp, etc.) is very small compared to the total number of debian
> > installations, and that is why we shouldn't make it the default.
>
> So your point had nothing to do with your derogatory statements about
> the SW raid implementation?

My opinion of software raid is only part of the reason I don't want to see it
as the default way of installing Debian.

> > FYI, I have used many a $3-500 raid card over the years, and they have always
> > given me decent performance with a minimum of hassle.  I'm sorry but I cannot
> > say the same about the md installations I've had to admin.
>
> I've used md raid as a matter of course on all sorts of machines for
> years now. I've had far fewer problems with these than with the
> drivers for the various cheap raid cards.

Each to his own.  This still isn't a reason to make it the default on Debian.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>