Re: cpu feature dependencies? (was: Re: Migration to Pentium?)

Samuel Hocevar schrieb:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001, Arthur Korn wrote:
>    I think this should rather be handled either by dlopen()ing the right
> shared object containing optimized code, or by using the libc's own way
> of handling it. Adding an extra package and CPU dependencies would lead
> to all sorts of issues when changing the host's CPU, for instance.

That was actually what I was thinking of. I listed libc6 as an
example of how it could be done:

21:29:54 arthur@turing:~$ dpkg -L libc6-i586
/.
/lib
/lib/i586
/lib/i586/libBrokenLocale-2.2.1.so
/lib/i586/libc-2.2.1.so
[..]

see?

And I don't even have to install i686 stuff that I don't need.

Installation of such packages should be handled automaticall by
apt though.

ciao, 2ri
--
They are really completely different things, so don't mix them up, but they
have a close relation to each other.