Re: ITP: kdict

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 04:29:49PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:
>
> > from README:
> > Kdict is a graphical client for the DICT Protocol.
> > It enables you to search through dictionary-like databases
> > for a word or phrase, then displays suitable definitions.
>
>      How does this compare with the wordinspect program?  wordinspect
> needs a lot of improvement, but I don't like GUI programs, so I have
> never done anything with it.  If you can merge wordinspect into kdict
> or otherwise improve it, I would be happy to give it to you.

kdict is much more advanced. you can easily select strategies,
databases, make a sets of databases, choose fonts, set up server,
appearance, all from the GUI, has www-browser like interface (with back,
forward, stop buttons), full unicode support, etc...

However, wordinspect takes much less time to start up :-)

Well, as for myself, I think the only part I miss in wordinspect is the
ability to use custom fonts (I badly need unicode fonts in dict client).

But OTOH, I prefer commandline dict anyway :-)

> > licence: I pondered a bit about it, but it seems to comform
> > to DFSG (opinions?)
>
> >         5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
> >         this Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
> >         Package. You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However,
> >         you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
> >         commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
> >         software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
> >         Package as a product of your own.
>
>      I don't think this is DFSG free.

well, as for this being the Artistic licence: I overlooked it
at the homepage, and nowhere in the package it is mentioned that the licence is
artistic... duh.