Re: Install and RAID

    >> If you choose to not use the RAID device you can just edit
    >> /etc/fstab to refer to the raw devices instead and change the
    >> partition type to something other than 0xFD, and reboot.

    Steve> this seems to imply that the user must know quite a bit
    Steve> about Linux already in order to opt out of the RAID
    Steve> configuration.  Effectively, it seems to me we would be
    Steve> saying "we support RAID; if you don't want RAID, you can
    Steve> change it, but you're on your own at that point."  I think
    Steve> that we would be setting ourselves up for a fall in doing
    Steve> that.  I'm sure there are plenty of Debian users, as well
    Steve> as developers, who aren't comfortable enough with RAID yet
    Steve> that they'd want to use it on all of their systems.  And as
    Steve> rigorously tested as the Linux RAID support is, there are
    Steve> bound to be situations where using the RAID driver isn't a
    Steve> viable option (c.f. the discussions about bootloaders).

There would be no point in disabling RAID.

I think Russell was talking more about the advanced user who
doesn't feel comfortable yet with the new software.

My only concern with making installation use RAID is that you
had better have very good documentation that goes with it, especially
stuff that explains the jargon required for a basic installation

...otherwise you will have lots of confused users trying to use
non-degraded mode, for instance.  Why should I use degraded mode? My
computer is brand new, its not degraded. Does that mean I need to
partitions my (single) hard disk, one for mirror 1 and another for
mirror 2? (don't bother answering these; I am not a new user).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>