Re: x-window-manager instead of x-session-manager?

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:19:42PM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   is there a proper debian way to tell the system that I want to start
> > x-window-manager or do I have to edit this file?
>
> It's a conffile.
>
> >   is there any nice way out of this?
>
> Yeah.  If users don't like the default behavior they can create .xsession
> files in their home directories.
>
> If you don't like the default behavior you can modify the conffile.

  well, I hoped there is something like alternatives or some other
mechanism, I hate changing complex config files because then I have to
re-do the changes in new versions of the same config files (or not
install new version which means I might be missing on new features or
bug fixes).

  using .xsession in user's home directory is not very good solution
either because then I am missing other goodies in system Xsession - for
example ssh agent... I mean the system startup (/etc/X11/Xsession and
files in /etc/X11/Xsessio.d) is fairly nice and flexible system...

  I guess the best way to go would be to create a file:
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/51xfree86-localRealstartupOverride where I would
simply put:

realstartup=x-window-manager

  is that the best way to go?

  TIA,