x-window-manager instead of x-session-manager?

  this code in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xfree86-common_determine-startup:

if [ -z "$realstartup" ]; then
  if [ -x /usr/bin/x-session-manager ]; then
    realstartup=x-session-manager
  elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-window-manager ]; then
    realstartup=x-window-manager
  elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator ]; then
    realstartup=x-terminal-emulator
  fi
fi

  is causing me troubles - I don't want to start session manager but
window manager instead. the problem is that if I want to have kde
installed I have to have kde2 (kde session manager) installed because
it's part of kdebase. and the code above simply pick x-session-manager
if any is available over x-window-manager.

  is there a proper debian way to tell the system that I want to start
x-window-manager or do I have to edit this file?

  is there any nice way out of this?

  TIA,

	erik