debconf installation error

Currently, debconf (in unstable) refuses to configure, giving me the
following error:

Setting up debconf (0.5.49) ...
Use of reserved word "our" is deprecated at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Bareword "our" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Unquoted string "our" may clash with future reserved word at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Array found where operator expected at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19, at end of line
        (Do you need to predeclare our?)
Global symbol "@EXPORT" requires explicit package name at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
syntax error at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19, near "our
@EXPORT"
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line
22.
dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255

The version of debconf available at http://www.debian.org/~jgg works,
but it has lots of dependencies that I don't want.  (That's 0.4.08, I
think).

I would not be surprised if this was actually an error on my end,
since this computer recently lost it's entire usr partition rather
suddenly. But all the files it mentions in the error are really there,
and perl is installed properly (I think).

So, is this a debconf bug, or is there somthing deeper wrong with my
system?

Thanks

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu