Re: Who should package&host a product?

Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> That might give the impression that most of the software in
> 'unstable' is beta.  That's not typically true, is it?

The only way to confirm this is to go to the software website/source
and investigate yourself.  There is no data field or management
mechanism in place to indicate the lifecycle of the software itself.
The package lifecycle is implied by which distribution it exists in,
but the only indication that software might be alpha is placed
completely in the hands of the Debian Developer.  They may use debconf
or #!/bin/sh *.preinst script to alert the user to the status of the
software.

My personal impression of the software, without verification or
investigation, is that we've got a respectable amount of "beta"
software in "unstable."  It's simply the nature of Free Software; ever
changing, ever improving.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD