Re: eth0: unable to signal thread

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Rodrigo S. de Castro wrote:

> 	eth0: unable to signal thread
>
> 	Is there anyone else getting this message? I don't know what
> changed in 2.4.* regarding to networking (currently I am running
> 2.4.1-pre8), so this may not be the correct list to send my
> message. If it's not, my apologies. Anyway, I think this must be
> related to scripts (I downloaded woody netbase to give a look and it
> does the same when stopping daemon).

You're probably using a Realtek 8139-based card, right? Media selection
was moved to a kernel thread lately. Now, init kills all processes before
the network devices are closed, so on close the driver screams that its
thread's no longer there. Arguably the kernel thread ought to block
signals and use some other means of communication internally. Anyway, as a
user you can safely disregard this message (unless you want to switch
network cabling during shutdown that is ;-).

Regards,

Daniel.

--
	GNU/Linux Audio Mechanics - http://www.glame.de