Re: killing daemons on package removal?

     > On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:10:36AM +0100 , Andreas Schuldei
     > wrote:
    >> I scanned policy for this and did not find anything.  BTW:
    >> policy needs an index!

     > 1) look at other daemon package how does it do 2) use brain :))

    >> Shouldn't packages which contain a daemon kill the deamon when
    >> the package is removed and not replaced with a newer one (like
    >> during upgrade)? If I deinstall a service I expect it to end.

     > normal is that the daemon is stopped in prerm.

Consider the folowing:

ssh server -l root
# dpkg --purge ssh
Connection closed by foreign host

Purging ssh would kill shhd, which would kill the dpkg, which would
leafe the system in a very inconsistent state.

Same with xdm, killing it might get you beaten up by the users.

Daemons like ssh or xdm should be stoped from accepting any new
connections but not killed. For xdm this would mean quit all xdm
display where noone is currently locked in.

Just my 2c worth of thought.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin