Re: use and abuse of debconf

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:17:49PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Note:
> [1] by file format (is there any better way of describing what I
> mean?), I mean something like:
>
> <setting> <value>
> <setting> <value>
> etc
>
> and not the settings themselves:
>
> ipaddress ?????????
> hostname ???????????
>
> so, for example, I would consider XML or SGML a file format, but not
> HTML.

What about a template system? neither XML nor SGML.
Like most complex and large www application do.
With this, you don't need to spcify any type of configuration file format,
simple implementation, no file trasformation needed.

We may have a single lib that work with any configutration file... may be an
extension for debconf that uses the existing template lib.

XML would be a solution too, but it is more complicated to implement, not
necesary for ststem application configuration: too mutch work by now IMHO.
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis
Undergraduate Student of Computer Science at Bologna University.