Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On 14 Jan 2001, Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> This forced flush happens at random places and not too often
> (increases linux.tar.gz by ~3%). The flush does not depend on the
> position but on the data compressed.

Apparently the wastage compared to regular gzip is now down to about
0.5% for representative files.  This gives us some hope that the gzip
upstream maintainers might choose to make it on by default.  It's fine
if they don't, but doing this would mean all apps which use zlib
(dpkg, rpm, tar -z, ...) would be rsyncable without needing to be
updated themselves.  Admittedly this is pointless for apps which do
network compression and so could never be rsync'd, but the loss is
moderately small.

Rusty, tridge or myself will be talking about this at Linux.conf.au in
Sydney this week, and at LinuxWorldExpo in NewYork.  We'd love to meet
and talk to people interested in this thread.

--
Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990