Re: g++, namespace std and STL

On Sunday 14 January 2001 18:33, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:04:28AM +1100, Chris Leishman wrote:
> > Hopefully someone can set me straight on this one...
> >

> > - The STL, as distributed with g++, does NOT use namespaces as it should.
> >  It appears to be an older (or modified) version of the STL from that on
> > the SGI website.  Why is this different or old?
> >
> >   In "stl_config.h", __STL_NO_NAMESPACES is defined when building with
> >   __GNUC__ 2.95.2 - which prevents the STL from putting things in the std
> >   namespace (where they supposively belong).
>
> You can't use the SGI STL with GCC, I think.  It just won't work.
> Similarly, GCC 2.95.2 has insufficient namespace support for the SGI
> STL.

The better is use STLport library (libstlport) which is already available in
woody. It includes full implementation of current SGI STL (with new SGI
iostreams optionally). And it works with GCC 2.95.2. More information about
STLport you may find on http://www.stlport.org/.

Mariusz

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.