problems managing package with CVS

I have my package in a local CVS repository.  Lately, a new upstream
version of the software arrived, and I imported it with a vendor tag
and merged the changes from the previous version into the tree using
the method recommended on the debian.org website:

cvs checkout -jsource-dist:yesterday -jsource-dist <package>

It turns out that the upstream author reorganized a bunch of files,
and eliminated some files that used to be in the old upstream version.

Using this method puts both the new reorganized files and the old
unneeded files into the CVS tree.  One could argue that the way to handle
this is to manually remove the old unneeded files from the tree.

Is there a better way to manage this?  It turns out that the files
that he moved around were documentation images that I usually put in
/usr/share/doc/package/html.  Since they are unneeded images
merged in from the old upstream version, and not present in the new
upstream source tarball, dpkg-buildpackage attempts to put them into a
diff, which craps out for obvious reasons.
--
Chris Ruffin <cmruffin@debian.org>