gmake symbolic link deleted

The development environment we use requires a gmake symbolic link
pointing to a couple of different versions of 'make'. Looks like this:

# ls -al /usr/bin/gmake
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root  13 Jan 12 17:57 /usr/bin/gmake -> /usr/bin/make

This link is created by a locally manufactured deb package.

After the latest update (which incidentally included a make package
update) that gmake link disapeared, causing some trouble.

I wonder: does anybody know what/where/why this thing happened?
Is it a feature or a bug?
Is it wrong to place that link in the same directory as the real make?
Is here a way around this?

Cheers,
Cristian