Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On 13 Jan 2001, Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

>      > I am "upstream" and I do want to make gzip rsync-friendly by
>      > default (without even a --rsync option) since the cost in
>      > compression ratio is negligible. But I need help on the gzip
>      > development since I no longer have time to do everything
>      > myself. After my interview on SlashDot
>      > http://slashdot.org/interviews/00/03/10/1043247.shtml where I
>      > asked for help I got no serious offer. I need someone with data
>      > compression expertise and some experience with the maintenance
>      > of an open source project.
>      > Jean-loup
> Great, so it should be failry straight forward for you to include
> rustys --rsyncable patch and after some testing make it the default
> behaviour.

I don't know if Rusty is reading this, but I am.  As of about
Wednesday, tytso had found a bug in the patch and Rusty was trying to
rework it.  We'd be thrilled to see this get into either official gzip
(really zlib), or at least the Debian version.

Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990
mbp@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.