Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On 13 Jan 2001, Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

>      > I am "upstream" and I do want to make gzip rsync-friendly by
>      > default (without even a --rsync option) since the cost in
>      > compression ratio is negligible. But I need help on the gzip
>      > development since I no longer have time to do everything
>      > myself. After my interview on SlashDot
>      > http://slashdot.org/interviews/00/03/10/1043247.shtml where I
>      > asked for help I got no serious offer. I need someone with data
>      > compression expertise and some experience with the maintenance
>      > of an open source project.
>
>      > Jean-loup
>
> Great, so it should be failry straight forward for you to include
> rustys --rsyncable patch and after some testing make it the default
> behaviour.

I don't know if Rusty is reading this, but I am.  As of about
Wednesday, tytso had found a bug in the patch and Rusty was trying to
rework it.  We'd be thrilled to see this get into either official gzip
(really zlib), or at least the Debian version.

--
Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990