Re: Developer Behavior [new maintainer waiting period]

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:21:55 -0800
Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> wrote:

> All I stated was that it was less efficient for many people to do
> work through sponsors. Well, let's do an indirect proof. Assuming I
> would not benefit the project much, uploading my packages takes time
> by REAL Debian developers who could be doing actual work that would
> benefit Debian. Getting an account would prevent me from bothering
> sponsors with my silly packages.
> So, whether I would benefit the project or not, it would benefit the
> project to create an account for me.

This makes the assumption that time spent by established developers on
training new ones is not as valuable as actually writing software.

Which might be true; it really depends on whether the younger
developer is putting the effort in.

I beleive there is a balance; I think all long time Debian developers
should also be teaching on a one-to-one basis one or more people (if
they have the time/passion for it), like a Martial Arts instructor
would hold classes, both to instruct new pupils and show them their
own gaps in their knowledge.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net        WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/
GPG public key: http://sam.vilain.net/sam.asc

  The sage teaches the confused,
  and the confused are material for the sage.
  If the teacher is not valued and the material cherished,
  confusion will arise,
  even if the teacher is very learned.

  This is called "the essential mystery"
         -- Lao Tzu