Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 07:28:58AM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

>     >> > Maybe it's time to design a compression alogrithmus which has
>     >> > this functionality (same difference rate as the source) from
>     >> > the ground up.
>     >>
>     >> There are such algorithms, but they eigther allys use the same
>     >> dictionary or table (like some i386.exe runtime compressors
>     >> that are specialiesed to the patterns used in opcodes) or they
>     >> waste space by adding the dictionary/table to the compressed
>     >> file. Thats a huge waste with all the small diff files we have.
>     >>
>      > These all have fixed compression, as far as I know there isn't
>      > any which combines a fixed with an adaptable compression.
>
> Yes, because having an adoptable algorithm contradicts the idea of
> storing a fixed table in a file and if the table is fixed for a lot of
> files, just let the compressor know the table.

Well I think we all know what compression is about. I just want to
point out at compression algorithms that don't have a table in the
file per se. They "guess" the table by reconstructing it like the
LZW algorithms (this has already been mentioned on this thread).
Perhaps using that algoritm might prove useful.

--
kind regards,
Michael Moerz