Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

>      >         gzip --compress-like=old-foo foo
>
> AFAIK thats NOT possible with gzip. Same with bzip2.

Why not.

> I wish it where that simple.

I'm not saying it's simple, I'm saying it's possible. I'm not a
compression speciallist but from the theory there is nothing which
prevents this except from the actual implementation.

Maybe it's time to design a compression alogrithmus which has this
functionality (same difference rate as the source) from the ground up.

O. Wyss