Re: gnome run command

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 02:00:57PM -0500, D-Man wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 10:52:12PM +0100, Dr. Guenter Bechly wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | does anybody know if it is possible to start the built-in run command
> | (similar to xexec) of the gnome-panel, outside the gnome desktop, e.g.
[...]
> | Xexec is a pain in the ass, because even if the focus is given to
> | the window, you first have to click inside to be able to write a
> | command. This is not the case with gRun or the built-in
> | command. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    I'll cheerfully accept any patches to modify this behaviour (I
maintain xexec and it annoys me as well), but don't have time to hack
into it myself.

> It used to be gnome-run.  I created my own launcher that first ran a
> script to set the "history" on my RH6.1 system (heavily upgraded) that
> had Gnome 1.2 on it.  (Or maybe only gnome 1.0.55).

    The upstream authors removed the gnome-run binary (and source)
from their distribution when they integrated it into panel.  Bloody
annoying of them, IMNSHO.  I had a wishlist bug open requesting that
the Debian maintainer go back and patch it back in from earlier
sources, but he wasn't willing to do it.  I keep meaning to do it
myself, one of these days, but feel free to beat me to it.

    Also, please put quoted text at the top of the message, not the
bottom (I've corrected this mail).  Bottomquoting makes it very
difficult to follow the thread of conversation.

> After I installed RH7 I could no longer find the command and my
> launcher didn't work.

    You also might be on the wrong mailing list...

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.