Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

* Manoj Srivastava

| 	You missed the point by a lot. OK, here it is all speeled out:

No, I didn't.  I told you that gnus has a way around it.  Which isn't
perfect, but quite good.  And of course it's a hack and a workaround -
I am not saying that setting reply-to on a mailing list is the correct
thing to do.

|  a) I have a reply-to header to allow people to actually respond to
|     me, rather than the strange lab set up my laptop happens to be a
|     part of

|  b) some idiot destroys the reply-to header by scribbling all over it,
|     so my hand crafted reply to information is now lost.
|
| 	Pray tell, how is your Gnus going to recreate that information
|  that was lost?

It can't.  As I wrote, it's quite good, but not able to guess about
information.  However, it should probably look at the X-Reply-To
header, if present (which at least Mailman renames the reply-to header
if it does reply-to munging).

| 	You may also consider
|  a) looking at the X-Mailer header in in this and other messages from
|     me, and
|  b) Look at the maintainer field of the Gnus package.

Yes, and?  Of course, I appreciate your work on the gnus package.
Gnus is wonderful, but even though you probably know a lot about gnus,
not everybody else had the knowledge that the One True Mail&Newsreader
had this ability to work around even insane borkenness.

But please, let's stop before this evolves even deeper into a flame
war (or even worse - a religious war about MUAs).

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.