[authorization] fails silently for normal users, cannot start server

Package: xserver-xfree86
Version: 4.0.1-9
Severity: important

When I try to start X server as a user, the X server complains that
the authorization has failed and terminates. Likewise when
trying to login from gdm (tried other display managers, too)

I can't paste anything now but as far as I can summarize:

from auth.log, a message like

PAM_unix[...]: authentication failure; (uid=0) -> exa for gdm service

exa is a normal user here, and gdm is the standard gdm. exa's uid is 1000

That's when I try to login from gdm. When I try to login from console
the error is more silent.

PAM_unix[..]: (login) session opened for user exa by LOGIN(uid=0)

what is going on here? :((( none of our users can login to X for the past 6
weeks!!!

help please.

Thanks,

-- System Information
Debian Release: woody
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux borg 2.2.14 #1 Wed Mar 29 19:43:52 EEST 2000 i686

Versions of packages xserver-xfree86 depends on:
ii  debconf                       0.5.34     Debian configuration management sy
ii  libc6                         2.2-6      GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  xserver-common                4.0.1-11   files and utilities common to all
ii  zlib1g                        1:1.1.3-11 compression library - runtime