Re: I want to try something for freedom.

[Note: This is a reply to the quoted statement only and I'm not sure
whether it has anything to do with the general issue of this thread.]

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> There's nothing wrong with studying patented algorithms -- that's what
> patents are _for_.  (They encourage publication of inventions, and in
> return they grant a monopoly on their use.)
>
> If these algorithms are patented, then there is no need to reverse-engineer
> them -- the details will be described in the patent.

Maybe, but then you still aren't allowed to implement them without the
patent-holders permission.

People that are not prepared to actually spend money on the use of
patented algorithms[1] are IMHO good advised *not* to study them.

Regards,
Lars

[1] including people that don't *want* to use them