Re: non-essential required packages

Hi

Petr Cech schrieb:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 09:56:38PM -0800 , Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > We already have a /etc/alternatives/editor, and it would probably not
> > be a bad idea to depend on something that Provides: editor rather than
>
> how? (it would be nice though)

There was a virtual package 'editor':

virtual-package-names-list.text.gz:
   8 Aug 1996 Added editor
  20 Aug 1996 Added sgmls, removed metafont, dvilj, dvips
  25 Nov 1996 Removed editor (should have done this a long time ago)

Why has it been removed? Now it would be really useful.

Some essential package could depend (really recommend, but since
apt ignores it, we can't use it (*hint*)) on 'editor'. I think
for textutils it would seem natural to do so.

ciao,
--