Re: non-essential required packages

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 09:49:50PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> >     adduser, ae, mbr, modutils, passwd, setserial, sysklogd
> > are all probably downgradable to either "important" (your system can be
> > recovered without these packages, but you're insane if you don't have
> > them), or lower.
> I fail to see why ae should be essensial, or why I would be insane for
> not having it. Any text editor can serve the same fuction, [...]

gawk can serve the same functions as mawk too, which is why mawk is
required, but not essential.

If *some* text editor is *required* (ie, the system *cannot* be recovered
without it), then one of them needs to be required, but if you replace it
by some other, that's not big deal. I don't think it is required though,
as you can always use cat (textutils) or dd (fileutils) or sed (sed)
or similar if you really need it.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark