Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:24:29AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> I think the fundamental problem here is that we do not have a generic
> way of testing whether a service is running or not.  If we did, then
> restart should mean "restart only if currently running", unless that
> is what "maybe-restart" is meant to mean....

Well we do not have any generic way but every server have at least one
process and it is quite easy to find it if you just got the name of it.

And the package maintainer should know about that name, and it is quite
easy to get the pid too.

---
if ps xa | grep -v grep | grep name; then
	stopit
fi
startit
---

But maybe you are talking about something else, I do not know :)

// Ola

/  olalu526@student.liu.se             Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  ordforande@lysator.liu.se           +46 (0)13-17 69 83       |