Re: Delay in connecting to service

Adam Heath <adam@doogie.org> writes:
> On 6 Oct 2000, Fredrik Liljegren wrote:
> > The time between the fork (when the connection is established
> > according to my ssh-client) and the childs "Connection" is mostly
> > less than a second, but sometimes, as in this case, over a minute.

> You don't have enough entrophy on the machine, so ssh waits, until
> you have enough.

Hmm, I will certainly try it, but I don't understand it.  The
generation of the servers rsa-key has it's own debug-messages in
auth.log, and checking those shows that it doesn't take a second
between eg:

Sep 18 08:11:08 bifrost sshd[1460]: Generating new 768 bit RSA key.
Sep 18 08:11:08 bifrost sshd[1460]: RSA key generation complete.

According to the sshd-manual the only key-generation that is done at
the connection (when run as daemon) is the session-key that is
generated on the client side.

> Solution: run a several finds on the server, a few cats of large
> files, etc.

I will.  I tried running a "cat /dev/random" (to empty the entropy)
and logging in at the same time, but didn't get the delay.  Perhaps
it's in some conjunction with close to the servers generating of
rsa-key or something?

Regards, EOF