Re: On Bugs

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 02:07:59AM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> It seems to me that a big reason for the BTS having so many unclosed
> already-fixed bugs, and incorrect severities,

Note that even if every >= important bug is at the wrong severity, that's
still only about 2% of bugs overall. Going from 11000 unique open bugs to
8000 is roughly an order of magnitude above that at around 25%.

Making it clearer what bugs are "important" will help making releases,
but I don't *think* there's much chance that it'll really help with the
total bug count. Maybe I'm wrong. Would someone care to have a quick
skim through some random packages' bug reports and see what proportion
of them can be marked fixed or closed?

> Here are a few examples, along with concrete suggestions.
>  - a web-based point-and-click interface to the BTS, allowing common
>    operations to be done in a second.  Eg "CLOSE THIS BUG", "MERGE
>    THIS BUG", "MODIFY SEVERITY", etc.

Personally, I prefer the email based interface to a web based one any day
because it's completely automatable.

	(for a in `cat bugstoclose`; do echo close $a; done; echo thanks)
		mail -s "close bugs" control@bugs.debian.org

>  - the policy is that only the maintainer or the person who reported
>    the bug can close it.  That could be relaxed:

Well, it already is relaxed, in that it isn't enforced. In any event
it's not really that hard to just send a mail "hi, i think this bug can
be closed now" to the bug report and let the maintainer close it.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark