Re: lintian 1.11.5 uploaded

Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org> wrote:
>* Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shaleh@valinux.com) [001002 22:31]:
>> Now is your time to make your wishes.  They may even come true.
>I am thinking about a lexical scanner to detect security sensitiv code wich
>might for example create opportunities to smash the stack etc.

I was thinking about this too over the last couple of days, in the
specific context of format string attacks. I concluded that doing it
well probably required too much knowledge of C for just a lexical
scanner (there'd be a lot of both false positives and false negatives
with the best approaches I can come up with), but that some new warnings
in gcc would do a much better job.

gcc already warns when you get the argument types to printf() wrong -
other vague possibilities might be extending this to other format-string
functions and warning about non-const format arguments (no flames
please, I know I haven't had time to think this out properly yet).