Re: X and runlevels

[you don't have to CC me on messages to debian-devel]

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 01:49:26PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 07:36:00PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > lab == lots of people == lots of NCD xterms == lots of quick logins to the
> > > DEC Unix server at the beginning of a lab... sheesh
> >
> > Quick logins don't trigger the termination of the server.
> >
> > It's a login, followed by an immediate logout, followed by an immedate
> > login, repeat 4 times, that causes it.
>
> Okay, my error, I was under the impression that it was fast spawning of
> whatever it is that supplies the display to a client.

No, xdm only pays attention to having to invoke the server binary:

spawn X server
  toss up login widget
  user logs in
  login widget is killed
  user session starts
  user session dies, cores, whatever
  server exits

Rinse.  Repeat.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     Communism is just one step on the long
Debian GNU/Linux               |     road from capitalism to capitalism.