Re: we need a release announcement -- soon [source material]

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 09:45:10PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> > > You're right. Why not count the base-system fetches?
>
> (Assuming base-system == some part of boot-floppies)
>
> > Because many of us just upgraded from slink. Which brings up a point:
> > there is probably a big difference in the number of people who have
> > tested the potato distribution and the number who have tested the base
> > install kit.
>
> You can add the average #downloads of section:base pkgs, but that would also
> add upgrades from a previous boot-floppies version. (Or find some pkg(s) that
> didn't change since the first available potato boot floppies.)

Same thing for me... I just fetch a single base_2.2.tgz, but used it to install
a dozen of machines... that's also included some first-boot-update to woody as well
(especially to use the pretty Helix Gnome packages for desktop). I even have some
old slink base-disks that I used to install potato and even a woody machine!
Eh! Network installations and upgrade are our big strenght, aren't they?

Take in mind that most people will simply upload it one time, than install it
on multiple machines... So I think it's more a deflated number than an inflate
one.

--
Fabien Niñoles                /  /          fabien@tzone.org