Re: menu-policy: education

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:13:42PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > I propose the new category 'education' for this kind of stuff.
>
> Good idea !
>
> As the one having "introduced" Games/Educational for "gcompris", I can
> attest nobody complained against this quite obvious policy violation
> (well, except lintian :)
>
> I suppose the place to discuss this is debian-policy, and the way of
> asking for this would be a bug on "debian-policy".

Well, it's appropriate to start the discussion here, I think, until we
have a clear idea of what is necessary, rather than hiding it on
debian-policy.

> So where will we put it ?
>
> Apps/Education ?  There are already many subsections under Apps,
> probably it will not be a good place.

Agreed.

> I believe Games/Education will be too restrictive, and Education/Games
> will probably not make much sense anyway.

Yes, either a program is under Education because it has some educational
value or it is strictly an amusement.  If it is under Education, it would
be better to categories it by what it tries to teach than just lump it
under Education/Games, so I agree that would be a bad subsection.

> At top-level ?  Well, why not...

I think so too.

> And will we have to use subsections ?  Not easy - some programs like
> gcompris will easily fall under all such subsections :)

Well, that goes for any kind of program in Debian.  I don't think the
problem is unique to education.  So this isn't a sufficient reason to not
use subsections under education.

So, for subsections perhaps:

Education/Early Skills		(for teaching a variety of things and
	Gcompris		aimed at preschool and primary ages)
	lletters
Education/Typing
	tuxtype
	tipptrainer
	gtypist
	gtyping
	Xletters
Education/Math
	mathwar
	Dr. Geo
Education/Language
	qvocab
Education/Science
	Gperiodic
	Free Physics
Education/Music
	Solfege
Education/Computer
	VisualOS
Education/Admin
	Ggradebook

Note that not all of the above have been packaged (or even ITP'd or RFP'd)
for Debian yet (although I hope that Debian Jr. will change that :)

See the categories chosen at:
	www.linuxforkids.com

Also, see the stuff available at Freshmeat under "Education" at:

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/x11/education.html

	and

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/console/education.html

for more ideas.

I would really like to see someone form a group within Debian specifically
for education.  As some of you are already aware, Debian Jr. is not
a project aimed specifically at education, but rather simply on home
use of Debian with children.  We hope to cross over a bit, but that is
simply not our focus.

There have been a few posts recently on the debian-jr list which indicate
there are folks out there who are planning to use or are evaluating Debian
for use in educational settings:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-jr-0012/msg00037.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-jr-0012/msg00054.html

And also this recent debian-devel posting:

Ben