Re: x-session-manager alternative

*Please do not CC me*

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 07:24:12PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> Hi Eric!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Branden has agreed to update /etc/X11/Xsession to try to exec
> > x-session-manager before x-window-manager. What this means is
> > that you should install gnome-session and startkde as an
> > alternative for x-session-manager. This means that a user who has
> > installed GNOME or KDE and doesn't have ~/.xsession will get what
> > they expect when they type startx.
>
> What is the problem with registering gnome-session and kde-session as
> x-window-manager? Wouldn't this new x-session-manager thing break the
> way users can choose there window-manager from the display manager's
> log in screen?

If this happened, how would the user choose between different Window managers installed on the same box (which doesn't work anyway (in Helix), but should soon).  AFAIK, Gnome and KDE don't conflict, so if somebody wanted, they might run Gnome and KDE on different VT's.  If the person using KDE runs Window Maker, and the person running Gnome wants Sawfish, this would effectually bypass update-alternatives.  Though I'm not sure what's happening ATM, I am positive that this is not the preferred behavior.

> --
> Kind regards,
> | Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |
> | zoetekw@phys.uu.nl             | bon le faire?                |
> |    bas@A-Es2.uu.nl             |               Pablo Picasso  |

	--xsdg

/ Strike a blow against RMS idiocy:                 \
\     pronounce GNU and Gnome without the hard G.   /
/    http://xsdg.hypermart.net|xsdg@softhome.net    \