Re: lintian warning: shlib-with-non-pic-code

    Bernd> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 09:07:26AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
    >> The problem here is that libvers (containing nothing more then
    >> code to print the version number) is compiled as a libtool
    >> convenience library, and current versions of libtool seems to
    >> be buggy when linking shared libraries with convenience
    >> libraries (it links the *.a archive, containing the *.o
    >> objects).

    Bernd> Do you have a .so (without version number), this is needed
    Bernd> by libtool, otherwise the .a is statically linked.

Yes.

dpkg -c ../heimdal-dev_0.3d-1_i386.deb
[...]
-rw-r--r-- root/root    304850 2000-12-14 13:59:51 ./usr/lib/libkrb5.a
[...]
-rw-r--r-- root/root       888 2000-12-14 13:58:38 ./usr/lib/libkrb5.la
[...]
lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2000-12-14 13:59:34 ./usr/lib/libkrb5.so -> libkrb5.so.14.0.0
[...]

(actually, it is not required by libtool; rather it is required by the
static linker).

Oh... Perhaps you are confused about what a convenience library is.  A
convenience library not meant to be installed, but just for the
convenience of the people creating the source package. Hence, it would
be downright wrong to link libkrb5.so with libvers.so, as libvers is a
convenience library and never meant to be installed. Instead, linking
with libvers.la should make libtool automatically use the *.lo
objects, not the *.o objects contained in the *.a file.

I asked about this libtool bug years ago on the libtool mailing list,
and was told that it will be fixed when libtool 1.4 is released.  I
presume it will get released within the next couple of decades...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>